What is E-Sports?
- Structure: Students who were already spending a lot of time gaming are now doing it together, in a structured environment, as a part of a school-sponsored team with adult mentors.
- Belonging & Student Leadership: The sense of belonging and teamwork is powerful and incorporates school community and pride. Plus, they can develop leadership and self-regulation skills, becoming valuable team members who persevere through challenges.
- Mentoring: Adult mentors are there to shape the culture and narrative around gaming, rather than kids playing in isolation or with strangers, and students can form positive relationships with their coaches.
- Digital Citizenship & Balance: Mentors can weave digital citizenship into team practice in a natural way, including finding balance between online and offline activities.
- Inclusivity: E-Sports have the potential to be inclusive and accessible, so students who might not be able or comfortable with playing traditional sports might find that all-important sense of belonging on an esports team.